first of all merry Christmas
I decided to write this post to keep you informed about the plan for the next release of PDFsam. After some thoughts I decided to rewrite PDFsam for the same reasons why me and Eduard developed Sejda completely rewriting the pdfsam-console. Here is a short list of the changes you can expect in the next release:
- I’ll move the source code from SVN to Mercurial, most probably on BitBucket where I already have some project and I’m very happy with it.
- I’ll mavenize the project to make it easier for developers to contribute and because I can’t stand those huge Ant scripts anymore.
- Unattended installation
- No more .pdfsam directory to store preferences
- Sejda as core manipulation library which means a couple of new plugins (TIFF conversion, text extraction..) and some minor improvement to the existing ones.
- I’ll most probably use some OSGi framework to improve modularity and it seems to perfectly replace the current plugin system. I’m still investigating this.
- Finally a completely new layout. Someone once told PDFsam looks like a Ferrari engine on a old Lada chassis.. well, I agree and I’ll try to make it simpler, more usable and good looking.
It’s going to take a while but I hope the final result will be a pleasant surprise for most of you.