today PDFsam v3 performed its very first task merging pdf files.
There’s still quite a lot of work to do but I wanted to share the good news, the merge pdf module of PDFsam v3 kind of works and it’s going to be the first one to be finalized. I still don’t have any bundle for you to test and I don’t know yet when I will, but things are moving, I have screen shots to prove it
few days ago we released a new version of Sejda and its command line interface. This new release has a nice feature regarding outline (bookmarks) handling during a pdf merge task that might be interesting for some of you. When you merge pdf documents, you can now tell Sejda what to do with the documents outlines, it can merge them as well (default behavior), it can discard them reducing the size of the merged pdf document or it can create a completely new outline with one entry for each merged pdf.
This is currently available using the sejda-console but it will also be included in PDFsam v3 and BTW I’m working very hard on the new version of PDFsam, I hope I’ll be able to give you something testable soon.
I just published a free and super simple tool for Android devices to merge pdf documents. It doesn’t have may options, just the three steps select/sort/merge but it does the job on your smartphone or tablet. It’s powered by Sejda and PDFBox and it’s available on Google Play and on Amazon.
You can find more info here.
Any feedback is always welcome… as long as it’s a good one
Hi, here is a simple tip to remind you how page selection works. When merging pdf files you’ll often need to merge only a subset of the document (a chapter, some pages..). PDFsam supports page selection in the form of comma separated values where they can be single pages or page ranges. Page numbers cannot be duplicated and page ranges cannot intersect, a page range with open end is also supported (Ex. 10- means from page ten untill the end of the document). To set the selection on a pdf input document you want to merge, you can double click the page selection cell and input some valid page range.
Examples of valid page selections:
Examples of invalid page selections:
I released versions 2.2.1 basic and enhanced, available in the download section. In these release you’ll find some library upgrade (JPodRenderer, the thumbnails generation library, among the others) and some bug fixes (most inportant one bug affecting the bookmarks handling during the pdf merge and pdf split). You can find the complete list in the changelogs here.
The ICEpdf thumbnail generation has been upgraded as well to the latest version.
MacOS dmg will be available soon.
I want to remind you that if you want to split or merge pdf documents and PDFsam gives you the message “PdfReader not opened with owner password” it’s because you must provide the owner password to be able to manipulate the document. If Acrobat Reader doesn’t ask you for a password it’s because it opens the documents in “view” mode, but splitting or merging pdf documents are considered “edit” mode and, as the error message states, you must provide a owner password.
as you may know I’m working on the new PDFsam version with some new module. Here is the link to some screenshot.
As you can see the big news about this release is that PDFsam now supports thumbnails. There will be two new modules to visually reorder pages of a pdf document and to visually merge pdf documents composing the desired document by taking pages from other pdf files.
As thumbnails generation support I used a Java library called jPod that seems to me amazing compared to other open source alternatives for quality and speed. If you are looking for a library to convert pdf do images (and much more) I would definitely give it a try.
I just released the new versions of PDFsam. In these versions the bug #2098518 has been fixed (PDFsam freezing while merging pdf files), the langpack has been updated and a context menu with copy/cut/paste has been added to the destination text fields.
Some users reported that PDFsam gets stuck trying to merge pdf documents. After some investigation I found there’s something wrong with the regular expression used to check the output file extension (pdf merge module). A temporary solution is to remember to fill the output file name with the extension included. I’ll fix it with the next release.