User interface in v3.0.0

Discussions about pdfsam or whatever you want

User interface in v3.0.0

Postby Andrea » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Here is some screenshot/mock screen of the next release, 3.0.0. I opened a topic here so that anyone who wants to contribute with ideas or experiences can write them down and maybe we can start a discussion. It shuld be clear from the screens how it's going to work but I'll give you some more detail:
- no more plugins tree replaced with a "modules" menu where the user can show/hide the desired modules
- modules are displayed in the form of tabs and can be hidden and dragged around
- LogViewer is clearly visible and can be shown/hidden with one click
- selection table will have a toolbar with buttons to operate on selected docs (move up, down...). Buttons will enable/disable based on selection
- environments are now called "workspaces" and they have a proper menu to save/load
- a new landing screen is available when the application starts the first time. It will contain all the available plugin in the form of buttons (A mock screen is attached)
- ability to dock/undock/minimize ecc are available from the docking framework I'm now using

This is what I'm working on but since you are the users I thought to give you a chance to share your thoughts about it and discuss the user interface... after all it's you who are going to use the next version :)
Attachments
merge.png
Module mock screen
merge.png (63.65 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
logviewer.png
LogViewer
logviewer.png (32.39 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
settings.png
Settings screen
settings.png (24.93 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
welcome.png
Welcome screen
welcome.png (35.84 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
Follow me on Twitter
Follow PDFsam on Twitter
----------------
Andrea
Site Admin

Re: User interface in v3.0.0

Postby danfingerman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 pm

I like the idea of a home screen with an icon for each module. But during work, how does the user change from one module to another? For example, if I merge a document and then want to move to the "View Options" module, how would I do that? Is that what the "Module" menu is for?

Also, how would the user go back to the home screen to select modules from there? For example, would there be a toolbar with a "Home" button?
danfingerman
Donor

Postby Andrea » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 am

Yes, the "modules" menu is the one where the user can access all the modules.
The home screen (currently called Welcome screen) can be opened from the Help menu but now that you mentioned, it might be better to have a Home button somewhere, easy and fast to access.
Follow me on Twitter
Follow PDFsam on Twitter
----------------
Andrea
Site Admin

Postby Moldmaker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Andrea,

I like the new UI. Looks less confusing. Two Questions:
Are the icons on the welcome-screen (or home-screen) final? Maybe you should consider different icon-sets the user can choose from.
And before I forget: Is it possible to switch to GTK-Look-and-Feel under Linux?

Thanks for this fine piece of software.

Mm.
Moldmaker
Novice

Postby Andrea » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi,
icons are definitely not final.. they are actually just mock images to give the feeling.
There are currently a number of LAF to choose among (System, Java, Plastic ...), more or less the same as the old version of pdfsam. On my Ubuntu the system LAF is the GTK+ (not sure if it's the same on other Linux distros).. it doesn't look very good though..
Follow me on Twitter
Follow PDFsam on Twitter
----------------
Andrea
Site Admin

Postby Moldmaker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Andrea,

I am still using Ver. 2.2.2. I never found a way how to change the LAF to GTK style, but there are Java, Metal, Plastic, Windows ... did I miss something?

Mm.
Moldmaker
Novice

Postby DJHarris1217 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Will the ability to save to PDF/A be included for version 3.0? Additionally, I work for an organization in need of this type of app, and need some sort of site license.

Thanks!
DJ
DJHarris1217
Novice

Postby Andrea » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am

I'm not sure yet, some people asked for the same but I don't know yet. I'm focusing on creating a new UI and give all the Sejda tasks a corresponding PDFsam plugin and this alone will bring quite some new feature in PDFsam. I also changed the PDFsam license to GPLv3 and this will allow me to upgrade iText bringing in about 4 years of fixes/improvements that the guys from iText made and I haven't been able to include because of license incompatibility. I'll probably start to investigate the PDF/A topic once v3.0 is reasonably working.
Follow me on Twitter
Follow PDFsam on Twitter
----------------
Andrea
Site Admin

Postby ChristineDarrs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Hello,guitar made easycats toy meowwww.colbertforsenate.com
gripgo.coipadpillow.net
I also prefer this UI, way more intuitive :) wipenewreview.info
flex shot xhosereview.info
Maybe is out of the context, since it's a totally new feature but +1 for PDF/A .msa30x.net
fabriclear.org rollieeggmaster.netvisualgrafix.co.uk
Thanks for your hard worktycoongoldaddon.org
Christinerabbittvreview.net
ChristineDarrs
Novice

Return to Discussions